Do you want to check the manufacturing date of your system to see how old your laptop is? Or perhaps you want to see if the warranty is still valid.
This article will show you what year your laptop was manufactured through 3 easy methods.
Moreover, we will also cover how to check the manufacturing and end-of-life date of your Macbook and Chromebook respectively. So, let’s dive in!
- How to Tell How Old My Computer/Laptop Is?
- How to Check the Manufacturing Date of your Mac?
- How to Check the End-of-Life Date of Your Chromebook?
- Why is it Important to Know How Old Your Laptop is?
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Tell How Old My Computer/Laptop Is?
There are different methods you can use to check your computer/laptop’s age:
- By checking your laptop/computer’s serial number and
- using the manufacturer’s website
- contacting the manufacturer
- With the help of BIOS version via command prompt: systeminfo.exe
- By checking the release date of your CPU
1. Find the Serial Number of Your Laptop
If you want to know how old your laptop is, with this method, you first need to get your laptop/computer’s serial number.
While a desktop computer contains the serial number on its back, the laptop (including MacBook) will have it on the underside of its chassis.
1.a. Check On the Manufacturer’s Website Using The Serial Number
You can easily get an answer to your question: “How old is my computer?” by going to the manufacturer’s website. Here, we take an HP laptop as an example.
- In your web browser, search for:
Brand name + laptop warranty lookup
For example: hp laptop warranty lookup
- Click on the official HP Support for warranty check.
- Type in your serial number in the space provided. Make sure your country of purchase is accurate.
- Clicking on “Check warranty” will show you the model number and all the other specifications.
1.b. Call the Manufacturer with the Serial Number
Once you have found the serial number, contact your laptop’s manufacturer by phone. The customer service representative will provide you details on when your laptop was manufactured.
2. Run Command Prompt: systeminfo.exe
Although Run Command Prompt tells the original installation date of your Windows, this may not be accurate in some cases as the date keeps changing every time a major update of Windows takes place.
That’s why we would recommend that you check the BIOS version instead. It is not only more accurate but easy, as well. The steps are as follows:
- Press “Win + R” simultaneously. Type “cmd” in the Run app. Then hit “Enter”.
- A new window will appear. Type “systeminfo.exe”, then press “Enter”.
- Scroll down and search for the “BIOS Version” in the list. Check date on the right side.
3. Look into the Release Date of Your CPU
Although this is not a perfectly accurate method because manufacturers tend to use older generations of processors, it will, nonetheless, give a decent estimate.
Here is how you can check your CPU’s release date:
- Type “system information” in your Window’s search bar and hit “Enter”.
- Search for the “BIOS Version/Date” from the system summary that shows up.
- The date listed in front of the BIOS Version is the same on which your laptop was released.
How to Check the Manufacturing Date of your Mac?
The easiest way to find the age of your Mac computer is by looking at the system info in the “About this Mac” menu. See step 1-5 below. And if your Mac won’t turn on and you still need the manufacturing date, locate the serial number at the back of your Mac and go to step 7.
- Find the serial number of your laptop on the back.
- If it’s not available, you can find out the serial number through the OS itself.
- To find out the serial number through the OS, click the Apple icon on the top left of your screen.
- A list will appear. Click on “About this Mac”.
- Then click on “More Info”.
- You will find the serial number of your laptop under the “Overview” category. Here, you can find the manufacturing date of your laptop.
- Go to the “Apple’s Check Coverage Website”.
- Enter your serial number in the box and click on “Continue”.
- You will be provided with the warranty status of your laptop.
How to Check the End-of-Life Date of Your Chromebook?
The Chromebook is different from other laptops in that its system has an expiry date.
Although this doesn’t mean that the laptop will stop working altogether when it reaches the expiry date, it will no longer get the update support from Google.
If the laptop is no longer updated, it will face compatibility errors. That’s why it is extremely important to keep a check on your Chromebook’s End-of-Life date.
You can check your Chromebook’s system expiry date with the help of the following steps:
- Open the Setting menu of your Chromebook.
- Click on “About Chrome OS” at the bottom of the menu bar.
- Click on “Additional Details”.
- You will find the End-of-Life date of your Chromebook under the “Update Schedule”.
Why is it Important to Know How Old Your Laptop is?
Knowing the age of your laptop is important for various reasons. Sometimes, we buy pre-owned laptops that may look classy but might be old. As a result, they will start malfunctioning within a few months of use.
The current software of your laptop may face compatibility issues with the hardware. When you know how to find the right age of a computer, you can easily avoid this problem.
You are able to check on your system’s state to decide when is the right time to sell or upgrade it.
Moreover, the companies keep progressing with years. The latest versions of a laptop might offer the features that are not present in the older version. By knowing the age of your laptop, you can figure out if a certain feature is incorporated in your laptop or not. So you can decide if you require the latest model or if you are okay with the one you have.
Frequently Asked Questions
Let’s check out some frequently asked questions below.
How to find out what year my HP laptop is?
The latest models of HP laptops have their manufacturing code hidden in the 4th, 5th, and 6th numbers in their serial number code. In the case of HP laptops, you can also contact the company to find out its age.
Does ASUS How to find out how old my Dell laptop is?
If you have bought a used Dell laptop and want to find out its manufacturing date, you can easily do it by checking out Dell’s website.
The ‘Ship Date’ will be the same as the manufacturing date as it tells you when the laptop was manufactured and shipped to the retailer.
How long do laptops last?
A laptop is expected to last three to five years on average. However, it can survive longer than that. But, its components will become less compatible and the utility will be limited, as well.
When should I replace my old laptop?
If you are utilizing your laptop for personal use, then you can use it for a longer period. However, professionals should replace it whenever they feel that the new laptop can boost their work performance.
You now have different methods at your disposal to find out the age of your laptop. You can do it through the serial number, by checking out the BIOS version via command prompt i.e. systeminfo.exe, or your CPU’s release date.
While some of these methods provide estimates only, it is better that you cross-check the results to get an accurate estimate. Furthermore, you can also call the manufacturer to find out your laptop’s manufacturing date.
If you are looking to replace your old laptop, you can put your requirements in our laptop finder to find the best suggestions.
We hope this guide answered all your concerns regarding the age of your laptop. However, if you still have something to ask, feel free to comment in the comments section below.
Other Suggested Articles for You: